Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Home Idea Wednesday - Chair with Drawer!

I saw this article in Apartment Therapy a couple of days ago, and I thought the idea was brilliant. They found a nice, sleek, modern chair with a good-sized drawer underneath the seat! I can think of a million things to store in a chair drawer, well, any drawer, really....



The convenience of this chair in a minimalist office area, or when you have to squeeze an office area out of a corner or closet, is substantial. I've seen a lot of great desks that have no drawers of their own, and this is a good way to hide your necessary-but-unattractive office or desk supplies. And the drawer doesn't take up any space of its own, because the area under a chair seat is pretty much useless otherwise. Since it's a solid drawer, everything's totally out of sight, unlike the cage-like contraptions under student chairs in elementary and high school.

Unfortunately, I have no idea how much this chair costs, but I'm guessing it's more expensive than Ikea. When I did a Google search for other chairs with drawers, I found just a couple, which are not useful in a modern home setting, for various reasons:



Children's chair and desk set, from Amazon. Useful if you're five years old.



Antique reproduction Philadelpha two-drawer writing arm chair, from Garden Tones. I'm not sure this would fit into any modern decor, but it would be great if you wanted to party like it's 1776.

I want to start a petition to get Ikea to make these chairs for under $100. If anyone else has seen a better example of a chair with drawers, or knows a woodworker who can make these, please pass the info along!

No comments:

Post a Comment